This is a bit of a bonus post since it's outside of our schedule, but I wanted to properly integrate a post on Sawmill Square Mall onto this website, particularly because that while Corn Dog 7 has long maintained a presence in the mall, they only recently opened a new Corn Dog 7 (the first and only stand-alone store) in June 2025 to the north of the mall. While this is exciting news for Corn Dog 7, it doesn't bode well for the location inside the mall, or the mall itself. Catch up more details on what I wrote for Sawmill Square Mall on Carbon-izer.com after I visited it in July 2024.
Thursday, August 13, 2026
Sawmill Square Mall (Laurel, Mississippi)
This is a bit of a bonus post since it's outside of our schedule, but I wanted to properly integrate a post on Sawmill Square Mall onto this website, particularly because that while Corn Dog 7 has long maintained a presence in the mall, they only recently opened a new Corn Dog 7 (the first and only stand-alone store) in June 2025 to the north of the mall. While this is exciting news for Corn Dog 7, it doesn't bode well for the location inside the mall, or the mall itself. Catch up more details on what I wrote for Sawmill Square Mall on Carbon-izer.com after I visited it in July 2024.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
-
High Point in better days (c. 2011). This is virtually unchanged from what Johnson & Johnson had. This was once planned for a full pa...
-
Street View from 2018. The old Safeway "Food" and "Drug" signs were removed by 2022. Outside of Houston, Dallas, and ...
-
Can you see the gas station through the weeds? (Picture by author, August 2025) A few years ago I was delighted to find that someone had t...

I was in Laurel fairly recently and one side of the mall was undergoing significant renovations. I'd imagine they may be converting it into outdoor-facing shopping as has happened at many other malls. To your point, not sure what that means for the Corn Dog 7 inside the mall. I didn't get to visit the new standalone one on this trip. That said, if the mall retains any interior piece, I can't really see it going anywhere. It must do good business to have survived all these years.
ReplyDeleteWithin the last year, Corn Dog 7 opened a new stand-alone store a mile or so away in a former Dickey's Barbecue Pit, which is great if you were a fan of Corn Dog 7, and not great for the mall and its dated Corn Dog 7 within.
ReplyDelete