Thursday, August 1, 2024

Grandy's in Texarkana (Texarkana, Texas)

When I was on my July 2024 road trip, I had a number of things I wanted to do and try. Some of them I wasn't able to get, some of them I was. One of the things I wanted to do and did was eat at a Grandy's restaurant. I was a bit skeptical as I read that Broken Chains had hated it (though the location was very far away from the North Texas base, being located in Evansville, Indiana).

Like a few other sites I'll be covering in the future, Grandy's used to have a more presence locally. They closed the last of their Houston stores in the late 1990s, so I never got to try it (the local store closed even earlier).

As it turns out, it wasn't that old. It was actually built in 2010, moving from an older location at 3225 Kennedy Lane (since demolished for a dental office) but it kept its late 1980s-era charm, which can't be said for another 2010s location in Brunswick, Georgia, which is arguably nicer but is not true to the Grandy's spirit.

My experience, though, was pleasant. The fried chicken was good, if a bit greasy, but everything came out hot and fast and on a real plate instead of various boxes and bags. Perhaps that's why Grandy's suffered over the years; their competition (basically every other fast food restaurant) can stick things in a paper bag and send them on their way.

No comments:

Post a Comment